Staying fit and active is a lifestyle that my trainer has taught me to love and I can’t thank him enough for how amazing and confident I feel everyday. Blogging is not my full time job. In fact, I work a 9-6 job and trying to stick to a consistent work out routine can sometimes be tough but I always make an effort to work out at least 5 x a week (unless I am VERY busy or under the weather). I usually hit the gym right after work or sometimes (if I don’t stay up too late) I will go in the morning. Either way I always make sure I pack my necessities for the gym. So what is in my gym bag you ask?
1. Beats by Dre wireless headsets – INVEST IN THESE!!! If you’re anything like me, I can not work out with headphones that are not wireless. My work outs require a lot of movements and jumps so I like having wireless headphones that allow my body to move freely. I have to be able to listen to music when I work out otherwise I lose motivation. Most of the time I work out by myself, so these Beats by Dre wireless headphones are a must for me. It is the first thing I make sure I have in my bag.
2. Garnier Micellar Water – Make up remover is a must for me. I do not wear any makeup while working out because I sweat A LOT. No joke, I always make sure I have a gym towel with me because I feel like I am constantly wiping my sweat. I know that sounds gross, but hey I am being brutally honest here! I feel like makeup wipes do not get all the grime and dirt off my face so I am really happy to have discovered micellar water. You just soak a cotton pad and swipe it across your eyes and face. Every trace of makeup comes off and I love how it does not dry out my skin.
3. Swell Water Bottle – It is always super important to stay hydrated while working out. Sometimes I know I do not drink enough water but I make an effort to try to drink as much water as possible. I love Swell Water Bottles because it keeps my water cold for 24 hours and I personally love drinking really cold water. It’s just refreshing and keeps me energized during my work outs.
4. A healthy snack – I am always hungry after I work out and sometimes I feel like I need to eat something right away to satisfy my hunger. I like to always have some sort of healthy snack in my bag whether its raw nuts such as almonds or cashews or a natural nutritious bar. My favorite kind of protein bar are RX Bars. They are 100% all REAL ingredients. No artificial sweeteners, no added sugar, and they’re dairy free and soy free.
5. A stylish cap – I mean don’t we all want to look stylish still even after an intense workout? For me, my hair usually looks like a disaster from all the sweat, so I like throwing my hair in a tight ponytail and throwing on a stylish athletic cap. One of my favorites that I am currently obsessed with wearing is this white Adidas cap. It’s super lightweight, built with UV protection, and basically matches well with every workout outfit!
Remember working out should never be a chore, it should be part of your lifestyle. It’s all about the journey and the steps you take to live that better lifestyle. Stay fit and active!
Tis the season for endless amounts of eggnog, mom’s homemade baked goods, and all things savory. Unfortunately for me now that I am dairy free I am very limited on what I can eat for the holidays but that doesn’t stress me out! Believe me sometimes it is hard especially at work when vendors send delicious desserts and all the countless holiday parties hosted by friends and family. However, I have learned to embrace my new lifestyle and I wanted to share with you tips on how to stay healthy during this time of the year.
1. Eat your own meal before the party – A couple of hours before the party starts, eat a healthy meal that is filling so when you get to the party you don’t indulge on food that you will regret the next day. I do this whenever my friends host a party even if it’s not during the holidays. I usually like to eat a hearty salad with beans and quinoa or I will make black bean or brown rice pasta. When I eat a couple of hours ahead of time I feel full and satisfied so when I get to the party I am more conscious on what foods to eat.
2. Make a healthy dish of your own to bring – Christmas is usually hosted at my house but this year my Aunt and Uncle will be hosting the Christmas extravaganza. In the past I would eat whatever I want at a party but this year I am making my own dish to bring so I can still enjoy the fun festivities. Browse through pinterest like crazy. There are so many healthy dishes out there. From dairy free to vegan to gluten free, the options are endless. I think I will be making these vegan mashed potatoes and healthy pumpkin muffins as my dessert. I get a lot of my food inspirations through pinterest so I highly recommend looking on there for daily food tips.
3. Drink a full glass of water after every alcoholic drink – The holidays are always about delicious cocktails and spiced eggnog but all that sugar and liquor is not good for your body. Alcohol will dehydrate your skin so you have to watch your consumption on the amount of drinks you have. Of course I am not the type of person to give up alcohol completely. I do believe in moderation so I recommend drinking a full glass of water after every drink you have. Drinking a full glass of water will keep you hydrated and sometimes I get full from drinking water that I won’t feel the need to have another cocktail. If you don’t want to be that person drinking a glass of ice water, sometimes I will just have a club soda with a splash of pineapple juice or freshly squeezed lemon/lime juice so it kind of looks like you are having a vodka club.
4. Use healthier mixers and say goodbye to sugary ones! – Ok it’s time to cut out those sugary mixers – orange and cranberry juice need to be tossed out! A lot of those juices are filled with added sugars. Unless you are going to actually juice your own orange juice, most juices are a NO and is definitely a culprit for that added holiday weight. These days there are so many healthier mixers out there that you can try. You can never go wrong with the typical club soda with lime juice or you can mix liquor with kombucha. Kombucha is a fermented tea that comes in a variety of different flavors and is so healthy for your body. I honestly didn’t even think this would be a good combination until I had a kombucha cocktail at a restaurant with my family. The taste was unreal! One of my favorite plant based vegan meal delivery plans Sakara offers a beauty water cocktail mix that would be great to have at any holiday party. The mix contains organic rosewater, trace minerals and other healthy ingredients that your body would love.
5. Just stay on track and keep your goal in mind at all times – Remember to always keep your goal in mind. Living a healthier life is a lifestyle. It should not be considered a “homework”. This should be a journey for you to learn and grow. I know it can be tough at times so don’t always feel the need to be 100% healthy at all times. Have that slice of pie or that extra side of mac & cheese if you need to but just remember to never over do it! There have been times where I eat almost a whole bag of chips or indulge in way too many french fries but don’t let that discourage you if you do fall off track here and there. Kick yourself back up and go back to your regular routine. Enjoy the holidays and then hit the gym hard the next day and work off those cocktails!
Remember to still always enjoy your life! Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions about fitness or health. Enjoy the holidays with your close friends and family!