Happy New Year everyone!! This is the time to start thinking about your goals and what you would like to accomplish for 2017. For me, I am looking to push myself harder when I work out. I want to travel more and learn to enjoy the little things in life. Additionally, I want to improve myself and not care about what other people think about me. My trainer has really been pushing me in all of my workouts and this one is one of my favorites for the glutes. Check it out and let me know what you think!
I’ve been 8 months dairy-free and the feeling is absolutely amazing. With a consistent work out plan and eating a healthy diet, I have never felt so confident in my body and skin. Cutting dairy was a huge deal considering my lifestyle before no dairy was eating pizza and anything with cheese on weekends or the occasional weekday dinner with friends. I have also made the decision to cut meat, but I still eat fish and eggs. I will share more of that on another post! So if you’re debating whether or not to go dairy free (or maybe trying to cut back on dairy), I wanted to share with you some tips on how I have stayed dairy free. Would I ever eat dairy again? Honestly I don’t have the desire to have dairy but when I do make a trip to Italy I have to admit I will break my dairy free diet and have some cheese because life is about balance and enjoying yourself.
- Slowly cut dairy by only having it once or twice a week or on weekends only – Before I became fully dairy-free I decided to cut dairy during the week and only had dairy on the weekends. I made sure I was eating a well-balanced diet with no dairy and on weekends would treat myself to a slice of pizza or delicious mac & cheese. It may be hard at first but your body will slowly adjust to this change.
- Try dairy free alternatives – There are a ton of alternatives that will help with you dairy cravings. If you love milk, try coconut or almond milk. My favorite is a coconut and almond milk combo. Rice or hemp milk is also another amazing alternative. Looking for a delicious cheese alternative? My absolute favorite is Daiya. It’s delicious sprinkled in salad or even better melted.
- Go and try vegan restaurants – Living in NYC is the one of the best cities to try vegan restaurants because it’s the only restaurants I know that are 100% dairy free. Seriously grab a friend or your boyfriend/fiance/husband and try a vegan restaurant. You will be amazed at all the dairy-free options. From diary-free pizza to desserts, the options are endless. Some of my favorites are By Chloe, Blossom, Red Bamboo, and Candle 79.
- Surround yourself with amazing friends and family – When I decided to go dairy-free my friends and family were extremely supportive. Whenever I go out to dinner with my friends and family they always make sure there is something I can eat on the menu. I’ve even got some of my friends to try vegan restaurants with me and they loved it! Just always make sure your friends and family support you. No one should ever look down on you for your decision. It’s a totally different lifestyle but I still enjoy my life and have been so much happier with myself.
- Use Pinterest Like Crazy – I look at pinterest every day to see what dairy-free meals I can cook. From dairy-free protein cookies to dairy-free mac & cheese, I get a lot of my inspiration from there. It’s also nice to see other people out there who live the same lifestyle as me and are sharing recipes.
Have any other questions about being dairy-free? Feel free to reach out to me. I would love to hear from you!
photos by Erin Dwyer
Hello everyone!! I’ve decided to get more personal with my blog and add more about my fitness and health. I recently started a dairy- free lifestyle a little over four months ago. For those of you who may not know, I use to be crazy about food. I ate whatever I basically wanted – pizza on the weekend, pasta, breads, etc. I was never fat or overweight but I definitely did not feel tone or fit. I guess you could say I was “skinny fat”. I did work out. I did stuff at the gym, tried out insanity, was a member at a boxing club but for some reason I still was not achieving the body that I wanted. I went through the phase of crazy partying, going to festivals till the crack of dawn, but always just feeling like absolute crap every weekend. I would be hungover and ate like shit. Let’s be real, we all have been there. I would be the one ordering a bagel with cream cheese or a massive burger with fries every weekend. I decided enough was enough and I really wanted to achieve that fit and tone body. I read many articles online about how giving up dairy made a lot of people feel great and energized and decided to give it a try. I was pretty good on not eating dairy during the week but weekends were my downfall (umm…3 slices of pizza!!!). I will admit it was extremely hard at first. I was exhausted, grumpy, and wanted to eat dairy so bad. I knew my body was trying to detox and I had to fight the urges. I changed up my diet too by eating whole foods (lots of veggies, lean meats, good fats, nuts, etc) to nourish my body. I cut out refined sugars and processed carbs and slowly my body was adjusting and my cravings for dairy were slowly going away. Now my body only craves healthy food. I don’t even think about eating dairy and I’ve never felt or looked better. I work out 5-6x a week and absolutely love working out now. I do NOT cheat on weekends to have that tiny of amount of dairy. If I go out to eat, I make sure there is no dairy used, which is why vegan restaurants are my best options. So what benefits have I noticed going diary-free?
- More energy– my energy levels increased. I don’t feel lazy or tired anymore and I’m actually always in the mood to workout! I now try to fit in a workout as much as I can
- Less bloated – dairy causes your stomach to feel bloated. You know that feeling. That feeling of being fat and being able to stretch your stomach out as if you looked pregnant. Well I have to say not eating dairy makes me feel skinny and my stomach is way less bloated!!
- Clearer skin – my skin cleared up a lot from cutting out dairy. There have been studies that show that dairy can cause acne. Eliminating dairy has allowed me to have clear and glowing skin. I’ve thrown out my foundation and only use a light BB cream now. I love it!! I am an advocate for natural beauty and less makeup
- Weight loss – going dairy free has also allowed me to lose weight and with all my workouts that I have been doing, I look and feel way more fit and tone.
I am in love with my lifestyle now. I never want to live the lifestyle I had in the past because the way I feel now is so rewarding. I’ve even convinced some of my roommates to try dairy-free things! One of my favorite dairy-free things is my protein shake that I have everyday after a workout. It’s packed with 24 grams of protein and it literally tastes like a delicious milkshake. It comes in 3 different flavors- vanilla chai, chocolate, and berry. The chocolate is one of my favorites! If you would like to learn more about these amazing shakes or want to try ones that aren’t dairy-free, feel free to shoot me an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) and I would be happy to answer any questions you may have! Stay posted, I will be adding more stuff on my fitness routine and some cool recipes that I’ve learned to make!
Stay healthy and active XOXO
Summer is literally only a few months away and its about that time to start prepping for that summer body. I am a huge fan of fitness and making sure I feel confident about my body. I recently (about a month) became dairy free. Yup, that’s right I gave up all dairy. It was definitely tough at first since I use to consume cheese on a daily basis but I have to say I’ve never felt better! I have so much more energy and I don’t feel tired or bloated anymore. I love working out with a friend because you can each push each to go one step further. Below is a fun ab workout that my roommate and I love. It really works the abs and it’s actually fun to do! If you have any other great workout tips, please let me know! Tonight I am going to my first vegan restaurant with my friends. I will let you all know how it goes!
I’ve come to the point where I’m no longer 21 (even though I wish I was 21 forever). As birthdays passed by, I’ve learned something about myself every year and now that I’m in my mid twenties I’ve really evaluated my life and have decided on things I should truly invest in. Listen, I wish I could be back in college and party the way I use to or be a reckless young 23 year old having fun and wasting away my hard earned money but eventually we all have to grow up somewhat…right? So here is my list of the top 10 things every girl should invest in when you’re in your mid twenties.
1. A Classic Black Blazer – you need one, trust me. If you’re going on an interview or looking to elevate your outfit, a black blazer is your answer. You will have it for years and it will never go out of style.