Staying fit and active is a lifestyle that my trainer has taught me to love and I can’t thank him enough for how amazing and confident I feel everyday. Blogging is not my full time job. In fact, I work a 9-6 job and trying to stick to a consistent work out routine can sometimes be tough but I always make an effort to work out at least 5 x a week (unless I am VERY busy or under the weather). I usually hit the gym right after work or sometimes (if I don’t stay up too late) I will go in the morning. Either way I always make sure I pack my necessities for the gym. So what is in my gym bag you ask?
1. Beats by Dre wireless headsets – INVEST IN THESE!!! If you’re anything like me, I can not work out with headphones that are not wireless. My work outs require a lot of movements and jumps so I like having wireless headphones that allow my body to move freely. I have to be able to listen to music when I work out otherwise I lose motivation. Most of the time I work out by myself, so these Beats by Dre wireless headphones are a must for me. It is the first thing I make sure I have in my bag.
2. Garnier Micellar Water – Make up remover is a must for me. I do not wear any makeup while working out because I sweat A LOT. No joke, I always make sure I have a gym towel with me because I feel like I am constantly wiping my sweat. I know that sounds gross, but hey I am being brutally honest here! I feel like makeup wipes do not get all the grime and dirt off my face so I am really happy to have discovered micellar water. You just soak a cotton pad and swipe it across your eyes and face. Every trace of makeup comes off and I love how it does not dry out my skin.
3. Swell Water Bottle– It is always super important to stay hydrated while working out. Sometimes I know I do not drink enough water but I make an effort to try to drink as much water as possible. I love Swell Water Bottles because it keeps my water cold for 24 hours and I personally love drinking really cold water. It’s just refreshing and keeps me energized during my work outs.
4. A healthy snack – I am always hungry after I work out and sometimes I feel like I need to eat something right away to satisfy my hunger. I like to always have some sort of healthy snack in my bag whether its raw nuts such as almonds or cashews or a natural nutritious bar. My favorite kind of protein bar are RX Bars. They are 100% all REAL ingredients. No artificial sweeteners, no added sugar, and they’re dairy free and soy free.
5. A stylish cap – I mean don’t we all want to look stylish still even after an intense workout? For me, my hair usually looks like a disaster from all the sweat, so I like throwing my hair in a tight ponytail and throwing on a stylish athletic cap. One of my favorites that I am currently obsessed with wearing is this white Adidas cap. It’s super lightweight, built with UV protection, and basically matches well with every workout outfit!
Remember working out should never be a chore, it should be part of your lifestyle. It’s all about the journey and the steps you take to live that better lifestyle. Stay fit and active!
Happy New Year everyone!! This is the time to start thinking about your goals and what you would like to accomplish for 2017. For me, I am looking to push myself harder when I work out. I want to travel more and learn to enjoy the little things in life. Additionally, I want to improve myself and not care about what other people think about me. My trainer has really been pushing me in all of my workouts and this one is one of my favorites for the glutes. Check it out and let me know what you think!
Tis the season for endless amounts of eggnog, mom’s homemade baked goods, and all things savory. Unfortunately for me now that I am dairy free I am very limited on what I can eat for the holidays but that doesn’t stress me out! Believe me sometimes it is hard especially at work when vendors send delicious desserts and all the countless holiday parties hosted by friends and family. However, I have learned to embrace my new lifestyle and I wanted to share with you tips on how to stay healthy during this time of the year.
1. Eat your own meal before the party – A couple of hours before the party starts, eat a healthy meal that is filling so when you get to the party you don’t indulge on food that you will regret the next day. I do this whenever my friends host a party even if it’s not during the holidays. I usually like to eat a hearty salad with beans and quinoa or I will make black bean or brown rice pasta. When I eat a couple of hours ahead of time I feel full and satisfied so when I get to the party I am more conscious on what foods to eat.
2. Make a healthy dish of your own to bring – Christmas is usually hosted at my house but this year my Aunt and Uncle will be hosting the Christmas extravaganza. In the past I would eat whatever I want at a party but this year I am making my own dish to bring so I can still enjoy the fun festivities. Browse through pinterest like crazy. There are so many healthy dishes out there. From dairy free to vegan to gluten free, the options are endless. I think I will be making these vegan mashed potatoesand healthy pumpkin muffins as my dessert. I get a lot of my food inspirations through pinterest so I highly recommend looking on there for daily food tips.
3. Drink a full glass of water after every alcoholic drink – The holidays are always about delicious cocktails and spiced eggnog but all that sugar and liquor is not good for your body. Alcohol will dehydrate your skin so you have to watch your consumption on the amount of drinks you have. Of course I am not the type of person to give up alcohol completely. I do believe in moderation so I recommend drinking a full glass of water after every drink you have. Drinking a full glass of water will keep you hydrated and sometimes I get full from drinking water that I won’t feel the need to have another cocktail. If you don’t want to be that person drinking a glass of ice water, sometimes I will just have a club soda with a splash of pineapple juice or freshly squeezed lemon/lime juice so it kind of looks like you are having a vodka club.
4. Use healthier mixers and say goodbye to sugary ones! – Ok it’s time to cut out those sugary mixers – orange and cranberry juice need to be tossed out! A lot of those juices are filled with added sugars. Unless you are going to actually juice your own orange juice, most juices are a NO and is definitely a culprit for that added holiday weight. These days there are so many healthier mixers out there that you can try. You can never go wrong with the typical club soda with lime juice or you can mix liquor with kombucha. Kombucha is a fermented tea that comes in a variety of different flavors and is so healthy for your body. I honestly didn’t even think this would be a good combination until I had a kombucha cocktail at a restaurant with my family. The taste was unreal! One of my favorite plant based vegan meal delivery plans Sakara offers a beauty water cocktail mix that would be great to have at any holiday party. The mix contains organic rosewater, trace minerals and other healthy ingredients that your body would love.
5. Just stay on track and keep your goal in mind at all times – Remember to always keep your goal in mind. Living a healthier life is a lifestyle. It should not be considered a “homework”. This should be a journey for you to learn and grow. I know it can be tough at times so don’t always feel the need to be 100% healthy at all times. Have that slice of pie or that extra side of mac & cheese if you need to but just remember to never over do it! There have been times where I eat almost a whole bag of chips or indulge in way too many french fries but don’t let that discourage you if you do fall off track here and there. Kick yourself back up and go back to your regular routine. Enjoy the holidays and then hit the gym hard the next day and work off those cocktails!
Remember to still always enjoy your life! Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions about fitness or health. Enjoy the holidays with your close friends and family!
I’ve been 8 months dairy-free and the feeling is absolutely amazing. With a consistent work out plan and eating a healthy diet, I have never felt so confident in my body and skin. Cutting dairy was a huge deal considering my lifestyle before no dairy was eating pizza and anything with cheese on weekends or the occasional weekday dinner with friends. I have also made the decision to cut meat, but I still eat fish and eggs. I will share more of that on another post! So if you’re debating whether or not to go dairy free (or maybe trying to cut back on dairy), I wanted to share with you some tips on how I have stayed dairy free. Would I ever eat dairy again? Honestly I don’t have the desire to have dairy but when I do make a trip to Italy I have to admit I will break my dairy free diet and have some cheese because life is about balance and enjoying yourself.
Slowly cut dairy by only having it once or twice a week or on weekends only – Before I became fully dairy-free I decided to cut dairy during the week and only had dairy on the weekends. I made sure I was eating a well-balanced diet with no dairy and on weekends would treat myself to a slice of pizza or delicious mac & cheese. It may be hard at first but your body will slowly adjust to this change.
Try dairy free alternatives – There are a ton of alternatives that will help with you dairy cravings. If you love milk, try coconut or almond milk. My favorite is a coconut and almond milk combo. Rice or hemp milk is also another amazing alternative. Looking for a delicious cheese alternative? My absolute favorite is Daiya. It’s delicious sprinkled in salad or even better melted.
Go and try vegan restaurants – Living in NYC is the one of the best cities to try vegan restaurants because it’s the only restaurants I know that are 100% dairy free. Seriously grab a friend or your boyfriend/fiance/husband and try a vegan restaurant. You will be amazed at all the dairy-free options. From diary-free pizza to desserts, the options are endless. Some of my favorites are By Chloe,Blossom, Red Bamboo, and Candle 79.
Surround yourself with amazing friends and family – When I decided to go dairy-free my friends and family were extremely supportive. Whenever I go out to dinner with my friends and family they always make sure there is something I can eat on the menu. I’ve even got some of my friends to try vegan restaurants with me and they loved it! Just always make sure your friends and family support you. No one should ever look down on you for your decision. It’s a totally different lifestyle but I still enjoy my life and have been so much happier with myself.
Use Pinterest Like Crazy – I look at pinterest every day to see what dairy-free meals I can cook. From dairy-free protein cookies to dairy-free mac & cheese, I get a lot of my inspiration from there. It’s also nice to see other people out there who live the same lifestyle as me and are sharing recipes.
Have any other questions about being dairy-free? Feel free to reach out to me. I would love to hear from you!
This is part two of my collaboration with A Classic Time Watch company. I had to do a fitness outfit because it’s something I am very passionate about. Being active and living a healthy lifestyle is something that is extremely important to me so I wanted to show how watches can also look great with a fitness outfit. I love the brands that A Classic Time Watch works with and when I saw this black watch, I knew it would be perfect with a fitness outfit. Fitness is always better when you wear something fashion forward:) Happy Wednesday everyone!! The weekend is not far away!
Hello everyone!! I’ve decided to get more personal with my blog and add more about my fitness and health. I recently started a dairy- free lifestyle a little over four months ago. For those of you who may not know, I use to be crazy about food. I ate whatever I basically wanted – pizza on the weekend, pasta, breads, etc. I was never fat or overweight but I definitely did not feel tone or fit. I guess you could say I was “skinny fat”. I did work out. I did stuff at the gym, tried out insanity, was a member at a boxing club but for some reason I still was not achieving the body that I wanted. I went through the phase of crazy partying, going to festivals till the crack of dawn, but always just feeling like absolute crap every weekend. I would be hungover and ate like shit. Let’s be real, we all have been there. I would be the one ordering a bagel with cream cheese or a massive burger with fries every weekend. I decided enough was enough and I really wanted to achieve that fit and tone body. I read many articles online about how giving up dairy made a lot of people feel great and energized and decided to give it a try. I was pretty good on not eating dairy during the week but weekends were my downfall (umm…3 slices of pizza!!!). I will admit it was extremely hard at first. I was exhausted, grumpy, and wanted to eat dairy so bad. I knew my body was trying to detox and I had to fight the urges. I changed up my diet too by eating whole foods (lots of veggies, lean meats, good fats, nuts, etc) to nourish my body. I cut out refined sugars and processed carbs and slowly my body was adjusting and my cravings for dairy were slowly going away. Now my body only craves healthy food. I don’t even think about eating dairy and I’ve never felt or looked better. I work out 5-6x a week and absolutely love working out now. I do NOT cheat on weekends to have that tiny of amount of dairy. If I go out to eat, I make sure there is no dairy used, which is why vegan restaurants are my best options. So what benefits have I noticed going diary-free?
More energy– my energy levels increased. I don’t feel lazy or tired anymore and I’m actually always in the mood to workout! I now try to fit in a workout as much as I can
Less bloated – dairy causes your stomach to feel bloated. You know that feeling. That feeling of being fat and being able to stretch your stomach out as if you looked pregnant. Well I have to say not eating dairy makes me feel skinny and my stomach is way less bloated!!
Clearer skin – my skin cleared up a lot from cutting out dairy. There have been studies that show that dairy can cause acne. Eliminating dairy has allowed me to have clear and glowing skin. I’ve thrown out my foundation and only use a light BB cream now. I love it!! I am an advocate for natural beauty and less makeup
Weight loss – going dairy free has also allowed me to lose weight and with all my workouts that I have been doing, I look and feel way more fit and tone.
I am in love with my lifestyle now. I never want to live the lifestyle I had in the past because the way I feel now is so rewarding. I’ve even convinced some of my roommates to try dairy-free things! One of my favorite dairy-free things is my protein shake that I have everyday after a workout. It’s packed with 24 grams of protein and it literally tastes like a delicious milkshake. It comes in 3 different flavors- vanilla chai, chocolate, and berry. The chocolate is one of my favorites! If you would like to learn more about these amazing shakes or want to try ones that aren’t dairy-free, feel free to shoot me an email (email@example.com) and I would be happy to answer any questions you may have! Stay posted, I will be adding more stuff on my fitness routine and some cool recipes that I’ve learned to make!
Summer is literally only a few months away and its about that time to start prepping for that summer body. I am a huge fan of fitness and making sure I feel confident about my body. I recently (about a month) became dairy free. Yup, that’s right I gave up all dairy. It was definitely tough at first since I use to consume cheese on a daily basis but I have to say I’ve never felt better! I have so much more energy and I don’t feel tired or bloated anymore. I love working out with a friend because you can each push each to go one step further. Below is a fun ab workout that my roommate and I love. It really works the abs and it’s actually fun to do! If you have any other great workout tips, please let me know! Tonight I am going to my first vegan restaurant with my friends. I will let you all know how it goes!